Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Ipod of Books?

Amazon.com recently announced its new Kindle, an e-book reader with free wireless access. It only weighs 10.3 ounces and can hold about 200 books, magazines, and newspapers. In addition to reading, the user can take notes on what they have read and store them on a server provided by Amazon. The device allows the user to connect and download books virtually anywhere. It does this through an EV-DO network provided by Sprint. There is no charge for this network but you will pay about $10 for a new release. Also, the device itself has a price tag of $399.

Sony already has a similar device available, but Amazon created their own so they can build a wireless service around it. It sounds like a good idea. However, it is sometimes hard to embrace change when it is in relation to something you are very passionate about, which I why think many hardcore readers will probably stick with regular printed books for a while. I am a tech geek and I love new innovations, so this concept does excite me. But, I will admit that sometimes you just can't replace a good ol' printed book. I, along with many others, have made the shift from newspapers and news shows to blogs and podcasts.

What do you think about this new technology? Heck, what do you think about e-books in general. I would love to read your comments. I know there are people out there reading this so if you have a comment or argument, please post it. Even if you don't agree with me; I won't take it personally.

1 comment:

Louise Maine said...

I am fascinated about Kindle. It would easily pay for itself with the lower price for each book. I am really thinking of getting this item but will also check out the other you mentioned. I am all for saving resources as well as saving money. As I buy mostly from Amazon, this will become all too easy for me. I have also started buying ebooks or books on CD so this seems a natural fix. I did go to Amazon yesterday to check it out and really did not think the negatives that people gave lower ratings for to be negatives at all. I believe the positives far outweigh them.